|Health and Nutrition
- Able Dogs - A mailing list for people with disabled pets.
- Anesthesia in Sighthounds - A veterinarian discusses this issue.
- BarkBytes Medical Information - Articles on canine health care and diseases.
- Canine Information Articles - A collection covering heat stroke, nutrition, supplements, and stress.
- Canine Osteology - An interactive atlas provided by the Davis School of Veterinary Medicine.
- Dachshealth - Home of the Dachshund Club of America Health and Welfare Trust. Free articles apply to all small breeds and cross-breeds.
- Dog Care FAQ - Series of articles on diseases, treatments, and neutering.
- Dog Owner's Guide - Provides health and nutrition information for all breeds.
- Dog Owner's Guide - Health and Veterinary Information - Collection of articles on diseases and general health care issues.
- Doghealth2 - An e-mail list about general health issues, with a focus on drugs alleged to have caused illness and/or death in dogs.
- A Dogs Health - Discusses a range of topics including nutrition, toy safety and general health.
- Good Dog Magazine - Articles cover many aspects of health and nutrition, and include product tests and comparisons.
- NetVet Veterinary Resources - Collection of animal related links.
- Poisonous Plants - A database created by the University of Pennsylvania. Searchable by common and Latin names.
- ProHeart 6 : Is It Really Safe? - A veterinarian discusses the side effects of this injectable heartworm preventative and suggests alternatives.
- Sabakasling - A make-it-yourself mobility aid for disabled dogs.
- The Senior Dogs Project - Articles about the special needs of the aging dog.
- Show Dog Super Site - Articles on veterinary topics including canine reproduction, artificial insemination, neutering, diseases and treatments.
- Veterinary Information for Dog Owners - A comprehensive encyclopedia of canine veterinary medical information.
- Veterinary Information for Dogs - Provides clinical details for owners on many diseasees and conditions.
- Veterinary Information Service - Canine Index - Articles on various diseases.
- Working Dogs and Canine Athletes - Canine sports medicine, nutrition and performance physiology.
- Your Dog: A Newsletter for Dog Owners - Monthly publication with articles from Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine. Sample articles, a listing of recent contents, and subscription information.
Conditions and Diseases
- Adamas Dobermans- Angel and her PRAA - Our personal experience with Persistent Right Aortic Arch in canines. A site to help dog breeders with this rare congenital condition make an educated decision.
- Bloat in Large Dogs - Brief information about this veterinary problem and ways to recognize it.
- Bone Diseases of Growing Dogs - A description of several diseases that can cause lameness in young dogs.
- Canine Addison's Disease - A diverse collection of information by individuals striving toward healthy, active lives for their dogs with this ailment from AddisonDogs.com.
- Canine Addison's Disease - Links to medical and drug information regarding this ailment including sources for cheaper Florinef, photo gallery and an email list.
- Canine Epileptoid Cramping Syndrome - Known as Spike's Disease, previously thought to be epilepsy and occurring in Border Terriers. Information about diagnosis, symptom control and the role of diet, as well as photographs and videos.
- Canine Inflammatory Bowel Disease - Page presented by owners of IBD Dogs and provides a place to begin to learn about IBD.
- Canine Intervertebral Disk Disease - Extensive information about the physiology, causes, and treatments of this disease that primarily effects dachshunds.
- Canine Streptococcal Toxic Shock Syndrome - Fact sheet, description of symptoms and progression of disease. Treatment advice.
- Canines in Crisis - Information and support for owners of dogs with serious illnesses. Focus is on cancer, but includes resources for other diseases.
- Cheetah's Story - Personal account about a dog with exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI) and the treatment it is undergoing.
- Eddie's Story - Personal account and information on the hereditary Addison's disease in standard poodles. Includes common symptoms and current research.
- Great Danes and Wobblers - Delilah's Story - Personal account of a Great Dane afflicted with wobblers and the alternative treatment that cured her.
- Incontinence in a Pet Dog - An owner's view of urinary incontinence problems in dogs covering causes, treatments and methods of coping with it.
- Kidney Disease in Dogs - Kidney diseases in dogs - juvenile, familial, and chronic. Information on symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, genetics and research. List of breeds which have genetic renal diseases.
- Perianal Fistulas in Canines - Provides information and support for owners of dogs that have perianal fistulas or anal furunculosis.
- Robbie's Pet Health Pages - Learn about canine vaccinations and the diseases they prevent, parasites, and home remedies for your dog.
- Sara's Story - Describes the role of physiotherapy in assisting a young golden retriever after a spinal infarct. Includes a discussion forum and video.
- Wobblers - Is There An Alternative To Surgery? - Holistic approach to the treatment of this syndrome.
- A Wobbler's Tale - A personal account of the diagnosis of Wobbler's Syndrome in a Doberman, and her treatment via acupuncture.
- The Bosco Page: Osteosarcoma - Personal perspective on the disease and treatment, including the use of transdermal pain relief. Discussion about euthanasia and deciding on timing.
- Cancer in Dogs - Reviews the incidence of common cancers in males and females. Statistics, epidemiological analysis and recommendations.
- For Jezebel - Personal account of a bitch with lymphosarcoma, plus a list of resources for owners.
- Kate Koogler Canine Cancer Fund - Invites contributions for bone cancer research in large breed dogs. Details of activities and the story of a bitch with osteosarcoma.
- Max's Bout with Cancer - Personal account of the diagnosis and treatment of a chondrosarcoma. Veterinary notes from the surgical operation and photographs taken in subsequent months.
- Robin's Canine Cancer Files - Offers information and support for owners. Includes personal accounts, discussion on treatment options and links to other resources.
- DDEAF - Deaf Dog Education Action Fund - Non-profit organization speaking in behalf of and assisting in the betterment of life of deaf dogs through education and funding. The site includes training tips.
- Deaf Dogs List - An email discussion group for owners of deaf dogs. Information on how to join - message archives for members only.
- Deaf Dogs WebRing - Index of sites connected through this ring.
- Dizzy's Deaf Dog Resources - Information for owners about canines with this ailment. Also includes a gallery, rehoming section and links to relevant sites.
- Why the Deaf Dog Barks - An article by Gary Wilkes.
- Back In Town - Personal account of training a deaf Australian Shepherd/Beagle mix. Tips and advice.
- Con Dolcezza, An Educated Dog - Personal account of training a dog that is deaf and blind. Includes photographs and links.
- Cricket's Training: Training a Deaf Dog - Illustrations of hand signals, a personal account, and links.
- Deaf Dog Training by Barry Eaton - UK trainer offers tips, a case history, photographs, and book ordering.
- Douglas Island Veterinary Service: Training Deaf Dogs - An introduction and how to make a vibrating collar.
- Introduction to Training a Deaf Dog by Lindsay Patten - Issues to consider when deciding how to train the dog.
- Stacy's Wag'N'Train: Deaf Dog Training - Tips and links.
- Degenerative Myelopathy Support - Information and support for owners of dogs with this disease. Details of research and suggested dietary treatments.
- Diabetes Insipidus: The Other Diabetes - Susan Thorpe-Vargas, Ph.D., explains the types of diabetes insipidus, how the kidney functions, symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, and living with a dog with DI.
- Tigger's Diabetes Insipidus Story - Personal account of this dog's diagnosis and treatment.
- Yahoo Groups: Diabetes Insipidus Dogs - Unmoderated mailing list, archived messages available to members only.
- Canine Epilepsy - An article by Todd D.L. Woods, M.D.
- Canine Epilepsy - Diagnosis and Treatment - Learn about canine epilepsy, canine seizures, and medications to contol seizures in dogs. Personal responses to questions. Articles by leading vets.
- Canine Epilepsy Network - Resource for all those concerned with canine epilepsy. Site sponsored by the University of Missouri College of Veterinary Medicine.
- Canine Epilepsy Resource Center - Overview of the disease, glossary of terms, and causes of seizures. Also, information on how to join the Epil-K9 email discussion list.
- Canine Seizures - Causes and Treatments - Comprehensive information on seizures in dogs including overview, various medications used to treat this ailment and data on caring for a dog with it.
- Blind Dogs WebRing - Index of sites connected through this ring.
- Blinddogs - Public message archives of the e-mail discussion group about blind or visually impaired dogs.
- Cataracts In Your Pet - Article discusses the causes and treatment of cataracts in dogs and cats.
- Max the Dog - 90% Human - Brief information and lifestyle tips told via canine perspective on Glaucoma and Collie Eye Anomaly.
- Owners of Blind Dogs - A resource for owners of dogs that are blind or visually impaired. Also, information on joining the blind dog email list.
- Pepe the Blind Dog - Provides information for owners of blind and visually impaired dogs.
- Canine Hip and Elbow Dysplasia Resources - A directory of internet resources on hip and elbow dysplasia, provided by Workingdogs.com.
- Nutraceuticals and the Arthritic Canine - Recommendations for the use of natural supplements like glucosamine, chondroitin and MSM to help dogs with arthritis and related joint conditions.
- Operating Room Seminar - Hip Dysplasia - Information and illustrations, showing what hip dysplasia is and how it can be treated. Includes information about PennHip.
- Scoring System Comparison - A table presents different ratings used by international bodies when assessing dysplasia tendencies.
- TPO List - Online message archives of this email discussion group for owners of dogs who have undergone triple pelvic osteotomy surgery and for owners of young dogs with canine hip dysplasia, who are considering this procedure.
- Auto Immune Hemolytic Anemia - Concise information for dog owners about AIHA and ITP emphasizing the importance of aggressive treatment.
- Juvenile Cellulitis - Owner's chronological account of a Weimaraner with puppy strangles, complete with a slide show of its progression.
- Lilli's Legacy: Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia - A personal and comprehensive guide to canine AIHA, including supportive care and choosing a knowledgeable veterinarian.
- Meisha's Hope - Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia - Information and hope for dogs that suffer from this disease along with its description, therapy and symptoms. Stories of other survivors are also told.
- RIT and AIHA in Dogs - Discussion forum and information on idiopathic thrombocytopenia and autoimmune hemolytic anemia provided by VetNet.
- Sunny - An owner's account of death caused by immune-mediated hemolytic anemia. Contains links and information about related diseases.
- What Owners of an AIHA Dog Needs to Know - Provides basic knowledge about autoimmune hemolytic anemia and the different drug treatment options.
- Ehrlichiosis - A clinical and comprehensive examination of this tick-borne canine disease which is a silent and deadly killer.
- Giardia in Dogs - A veterinary surgeon with a special interest in parasitology, describes the infection and how it can be treated and controlled.
- Valley Fever - Personal account of a dog diagnosed with this ailment. Discusses medication and its cost.
- Canine Laryngeal Paralysis - A source of help and support for those dealing with canine laryngeal paralysis.
- Engbertson 's Home Page - Extensive information on laryngeal paralysis in dogs.
- LP List - An email discussion list for owners of dogs who have laryngeal paralysis. Information on how to join and public message archives.
- CIDD: Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency - Answers to common questions about EPI.
- HomeVet: Pancreatic Insufficiency - Exocrine pancreatic insufficiency and acute pancreatitis descriptions and treatment.
- Isabelle Vets: Pancreatic Insufficiency in the Canine - Clinical signs, diagnosis, and treatment.
- Pancreatic Acinar Atrophy in German Shepherd Dogs and Rough-Coated Collies - Research report by Maria Wiberg on the causes of PAA and the effectiveness of enzyme replacement treatment. [PDF]
- VetCentric: Canine Pancreatitis - Illustrated article covering symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis.
- Canine Diabetes - Information for owners of canines with diabetes mellitus. Featuring Dr. Peter Graham and Dr. Jennifer Fry and the Rainbow Pet Diabetes Email List
- Diabetes Mellitus - Comprehensive information and illustrations for owners of a dog diagnosed with this ailment courtesy of Auburn University's College of Veterinary Medicine.
- Management of Molly's Canine Diabetes - Brief personal regimen of a young, diabetic, Old English Sheepdog (bobtail). Explains her diet, insulin and blood glucose monitoring.
- Canine Thyroid Health Study - Its ongoing goal is to understand more about thyroid dysfunction in dogs. Includes results by Michigan State University, participation contacts and information on ailment.
- AnimalForum.com - von Willebrand's disease - Article on von Willebrand's disease identifying breeds most commanly affected as well as symptoms and treatment.
- Canine Von Willebrand's Disease - Information on this disease from the Jack Russell Terrier Club of America.
- Canine von Willebrands Disease - Seattle Veterinary Associates facts on diagnosis and treatment.
- von Willebrand Disease - American White Shepherd Association - How to test and diagnose this bleeding disorder.
Breeding and Whelping
- Before You Breed Your Dog - Lists of considerations when planning a litter, including choice of the parents, costs and time involved and difficulty finding homes for the pups.
- Being a Responsible Dog Breeder - Includes information and sample codes of ethics.
- Breeders Only Mailing List - For discussion about breeding purebred dogs. Submissions invited about health, care of stud dog or bitches and whelping tips.
- Breeding Dogs - Information about biology and management. Includes illustrated descriptions of the process involved in artificial breedings.
- Breeding, Whelping, and Rearing Puppies - Examines each stage in the form of FAQs. Topics include paperwork, preparing a whelping kit, finding and dealing with puppy buyers, and financial considerations.
- Breeding Your Dog - Considers three common reasons for having a litter.
- Costs of Breeding - A breeder presents a detailed account of the expenses involved in breeding a pedigree litter. Includes photographs and explanations of some tests.
- Determining Breeding Potential - Discusses the points to consider in choosing a sire and dam. Written about mastiffs but applies to all breeds.
- Do you want to be a breeder ? - Examines the chances of a problem-free experience.
- Getting Started As a Responsible Breeder - A list of suggestions from the American Kennel Club.
- Heat Cycles - FAQ about the physical changes and their significance.
- Heat, Pregnancy and Whelping Guide - Description and photographs of the whole process, including common problems.
- Highlights of Whelping - Discusses preparation, supplies needed, possible problems and solutions as well as an account of the process.
- Hybrid Vigor - Examines the belief that mixed breeds are healthier than purebreds.
- Pet Bits For You - Details the heat cycle, mating, pregnancy and whelping, with a weekly diary of the changes, potential problems and solutions. Includes advice for new puppy owners.
- Reality of Breeding Dogs - Provides articles, explanations, FAQs, mailing lists and book suggestions for anyone planning a litter. Includes a checklist, a cost analysis and discussion about sterilisation.
- So You Want To Breed Dogs ? - Detailed accounts of whelping experiences, written by breeders.
- To Breed or Not to Breed : 1 - Discusses the characteristics of a responsible breeder wanting to raise healthy puppies.
- To Breed or Not to Breed : 2 - Guidelines for deciding if an individual animal is worth breeding.
- Whelping Information - Provides articles and downloadable forms to assist in planning and record-keeping.
- Abandoned Puppy Care and Nutrition Guide - Includes calorie nutritional requirement information and health care tips.
- The Animal Advocate - Facts and editorials about breed specific nutritional requirements, label interpretation, and alternatives to commercial food.
- Canadian Veterinary Medical Association (CVMA) - More than 20 articles on dog nutrition. Topics include feeding practices, food supplements, ingredients, food contaminants, relationship of diet to health, labelling and nutritional requirements.
- Canine Nutrition - A collection of articles by a nutritional consultant. Includes dietary analyses and the relationship between diet and disease.
- Dog Nutrition - Articles on BARF, vegetarian diet, supplements, commercial diets and mad cow disease.
- Dog Nutrition Fact Book - A dog food manufacturer presents information covering requirements and considerations from puppy to old age.
- Dogs and Diets - Information on dog food selection, feeding tips, basic nutrition and special diets.
- General Nutrition Guidelines - Article by a veterinarian discussing labels, natural dog food, supplements, and how much to feed.
- K9Nutrition - Information on how to join this e-mail discussion group, for people wanting to learn more about nutrition and dogs, and sharing ideas on feeding for daily use and for special needs.
- Lennie's World of Dog Nutrition - Articles on canine diet and feeding are changed and rotated regularly.
- Nutrition Manual - Provides topics covering diet, poisoning, commercial food comparisons, and component descriptions.
- PetPlanet Dog Nutrition - Articles on feeding table scraps, BARF, dangerous foods, dies for puppies adults and seniors, and causes of indigestion.
- Purina - Dog Nutrition - Provides information on a number of related topics, including choosing dog food, diet, and nutrients.
- US Dept. of Agriculture (USDA) - Nutrient Database for Standard Reference - Interface allows simple searches for food ingredients by entering keywords or the Nutrient Database Number.
- Waltham - Dog Feeding Guide - More than ten articles covering topics such as balanced diets for puppies, adults, bitches, seniors and working dogs, home prepared and commercial diets, feeding milk and bones, and eating grass.
- What to Feed Your Puppy Dog - Essay discusses concerns about commercial dog food and dog food ingredients, and recommends particular brands of commercial dog food and home made diets.
- Wolfepack Dog Food Comparison Chart - Information on dog food analysis, major brands, raw food, preservative free foods, treats and poison plants.
©2003 - 2012